The internship program is a blend of the fab academy program which is supported by Tamkeen and research projects related to your field. The cost of the Fab Academy program is 1000 BHD, Tamkeen will cover the full cost of the program.
The whole internship program is a 10 week fast-paced, hands-on learning experience where students learn rapid prototyping by planning and executing a new project each week, resulting in a personal portfolio of technical accomplishments. Including 2D & 3D design tools, 3D printing, laser cutting, electronics programming, and much more.
The program follows a distributed learning model with online lectures by the MIT professor. Neil Gerstenfeld takes place weekly.
Frequently asked questions
Who is eligible for the program ?
Bahrainis that can commit with the working hours and did not take any Tamkeen program for the past 12 months. Must be proficient in spoken & written English.
How do I successfully complete the program to get the fab foundation certificate ?
- Document all work for the weekly assignments, fab academy project and the internship project
- Complete the practical work for the fab academy project
- Complete the practical work for the internship project
- Present both projects in the final exhibition
- Attend at least 85% of the internship period
What are my responsibilities during the training period ?
- Respect everyone regardless of the position and situation.
- Watch the weekly pre recorded lectures by professor Neil Gerstenfeld.
- Successfully completing the program as mentioned above “How do I successfully complete the program to get the fab foundation certificate”.
- Maintaining a clean, tidy, organized and safe work area. Keeping the space cleaner and organized.
What does a typical day look like ?
- 10AM-12PM You will be working on a research practical project related to the field of study this work will include (Research, Practical work and documenting the work)
- 12PM-1PM Fab Academy instructors will help you learn the practical part of the fab academy program such as operating a machine or guiding you through tutorials and research (More about the weekly assignments for fab academy in the brochure below)
- 1PM – 2PM Lunch break were you can eat, play and socialize with other colleges from different backgrounds
- 2PM – 4PM Individually working on the weekly assignments with documenting in the lab reports webpage
What will I learn ?
- Project Management
- Computer-Aided Design
- Computer-Controlled Cutting
- Computer-Controlled Machining
- Molding & Casting
- 3D Scanning & Printing
- Embedded Programming
- Input / Output Devices
- Project Development