What is it?
The Fab Academy is a fast paced, hands-on learning experience where students learn rapid-prototyping by planning and executing a new project each week, resulting in a personal portfolio of technical accomplishments.
How does it work?
It offers a distributed rather than distance educational model, students learn in the work-group at Fab Lab Bahrain, with peers, mentors, and machines, which are then connected globally by content sharing and video for interactive classes.
A weekly online lecture is conducted every Wednesday at 9AM EST (4PM Bahrain time) by MIT professor Neil Gershenfeld. Students work locally at Fab Lab Bahrain based in Sanabis area throughout the week to complete assignments. Students typically meet and work on Saturdays and Mondays of every week.
What will students learn?
Students must complete a series of weekly assignments for a period of six months
- principles and practices
- project management
- computer-aided design
- computer-controlled cutting
- electronics production
- computer-controlled machining
- electronics design
- molding and casting or “wild card week”
- Wild card
- embedded programming
- 3D scanning and printing
- interface and application programming
- mechanical design
- output devices
- networking and communications
- machine design
- applications and implications
- project development
- invention, intellectual property, and income
There are no exams or quizzes in Fab Academy. Each student has a website where they document the work they have done in images/words/videos. To successfully complete the course a student must Achieve 3 steps:
- Complete (make and document) all the individual weekly assignments.
- Present their Final Project to their peers online at the end of the course in June.
- Pass the Global Evaluation of the work they have done during the course.
Who can take this course?
The course is open for all. Students, graduates and employed professionals can apply. An engineering background is not necessary, the course is open for individuals of all different backgrounds. Proficiency in both spoken and written English is required.
Registration is now open for Fab Academy 2021! To apply:
- Apply by filling out the application form.
- Send us your C.V on email@example.com
- We will contact you for an acceptance interview
- If you pass the interview , we will finalize the acceptance process, provide you with all the information you need to start the program, and you will officially be a part of the program!